26. By the middle of the twentieth century, painters and sculptors in the United States had begun to exert a great worldwide influence over art.
27. In the eastern part of New Jersey lies the city of Elizabeth, a major shipping and manufacturing center.
28. Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman medical doctor in the United States, founded the New York Infirmary, an institution that has always had a completely female medical staff.
29. Alexander Graham Bell once told his family that he would rather be remembered as a teacher of the deaf than as the inventor of the telephone.
Alexander Graham Bell曾告诉家人，他更愿意让后人记住他是聋子的老师，而非电话的发明者。
30. Because its leaves remain green long after being picked, rosemary became associated with the idea of remembrance.
31. Although apparently rigid, bones exhibit a degree of elasticity that enables the skeleton to withstand considerable impact.
32. That xenon could not form chemical compounds was once believed by scientists.
33. Researchsintosthe dynamics of storms is directed toward improving the ability to predict these events and thus to minimize damage and avoid loss of life.
34. The elimination of inflation would ensure that the amount of money used in repaying a loan would have the same value as the amount of money borrowed.
35. Futurism, an early twentieth-century movement in art, rejected all traditions and attempted to glorify contemporary life by emphasizing the machine and motion.
36. One of the wildest and most inaccessible parts of the United States is the Everglades swheres wildlife is abundant and largely protected.
37. Lucretia Motts influence was so significant that she has been credited by some authorities as the originator of feminism in the United States.
38. The activities of the international marketing researcher are frequently much broader than those of the domestic marketer.
9.asgoodas相等于，就像，几乎如;实际上，其实，实在。 Themerchantasgoodaspromisedtheorphanboy,thathewouldadopthim. 10.manyaswellas和mightaswella...（查看全文）
17.cannottoo结构,cannottoo意为Itisimpossibletooverdo或者，即无论怎样也不算过分。not可换用hardly，scarcely等，too可换用enough，sufficient等 Youcannotbetoocareful. 18....（查看全文）