Dogs are social animals and without proper training, they will behave like wild animals. They will soil your house, destroy your belongings, bark excessively, fight other dogs and even bite you. Nearly all behavior problems are perfectly normal dog activities that occur at the wrong time or place or are directed at the wrong thing. The key to preventing or treating behavior problems is learning to teach the dog to redirect its normal behavior to outlets that are acceptable in the domestic setting.
One of the best things you can do for your dog and yourself is to obedience train (驯服) it. Obedience training doesn’t solve all behavior problems, but it is the foundation for solving just about any problem. Training opens up a line of communication between you and your dog. Effective communication is necessary to instruct your dog about what you want it to do.
Training is also an easy way to establish the social rank order. When your dog obeys a simple request of “come here, sit,” it is showing obedience and respect for you. It is not necessary to establish yourself as top dog or leader of the dog pack (群) by using extreme measures. You can teach your dog its subordinate (从属的) role by teaching it to show submission to you. Most dogs love performing tricks for you to pleasantly accept that you are in charge.
Training should be fun and rewarding for you and your dog. It can enrich your relationship and make living together more enjoyable. A well-trained dog is more confident and can more safely be allowed a greater amount of freedom than an untrained animal.
21. Behavior problems of dogs are believed to __________.
A) worsen in modern society B) occur when they go wild
C) be just part of their nature D) present a threat to the community
22. The primary purpose of obedience training is to __________.
A) teach the dog to perform clever tricks
B) enable the dog to regain its normal behavior
C) make the dog aware of its owner’s authority
D) provide the dog with outlets for its wild behavior
23. Effective communication between a dog and its owner is _________.
A) an extreme measure in obedience training
B) a good way to teach the dog new tricks
C) the foundation for dogs to perform tasks
D) essential to solving the dog’s behavior problems
24. Why do pet dogs love performing tricks for their masters?
A) To show their willingness to obey B) To show their affection for their masters
C) To avoid being punished D) To win leadership of the dog pack
25. When a dog has received effective obedience training, its owner __________.
A) will enjoy a better family life B) can give the dog more freedom
C) can give the dog more rewards D) will have more confidence in himself
21. C 细节题 解题的依据是文中第一段“Nearly all behavior problems are perfectly normal dog activities …”（几乎所有的行为问题都完全是狗的正常活动表现）。
22. D 推断题 解题的线索来自第一段“The key to preventing or treating behavior problems is learning to teach the dog to redirect its normal behavior to outlets that are acceptable in the domestic setting.”这里考生必须充分理解题干中的关键词primary，选项C具有一定的干扰性，它只是驯服的第二目的。
23. C 细节题 从文中第二段最后一句话 Effective communication is necessary to instruct your dog about what you want it to do.（指导狗做你想要它做的事，进行有效的沟通是很必要的）可以推断出正确答案。
24. A 细节题 选项A与文中第三段中Most dogs love performing tricks for you to pleasantly accept that you are in charge.为同义表达，故为正确选项。
25. B 推断题 解题的依据是全文最后一句话“A well-trained dog is more confident and can more safely be allowed a greater amount of freedom than an untrained animal.”意思是对于一只受过良好训练的狗，主人可以给他更多的自由，这与选项B表达意思一致。