1. The reality that has blocked my path to beneting the typical successful student is that engineering and the liberal arts simply don't mix as easily as I assumed in high school.
2. Robert Foss, a scientist at the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center, says the higher death rates for teenage drivers have less to do with “really stupid behavior” than with just a lack of driving experience.
3. Both he and the author of the study believe that the way to mitigate (缓解)the problem is to have states institute so-called graduated licensing systems, in which getting a license is a multistage process.
4. What is most important, different layers of ocean water can act as channels for sounds, focusing them in the same way a stethoscope （听诊器） does when it carries faint noises from a patient’s chest to a doctor’s ear.
5. The key to preventing or treating behavior problems is learning to teach the dog to redirect its normal behavior to outlets that are acceptable in the domestic setting.
6. Non-smokers remembered 19 percent more of the most important information than active smokers, and deprived smokers bested those who had smoked a cigarette just before testing.
7. Deeply involved with this new technology is a breed of modern businesspeople who have a growing respect for the economic value of doing business abroad.
8. The employee posted abroad who speaks the country's principal language has an opportunity to fast-forward certain negotiations, and can have the cultural insight to know when it is better to move more slowly.
9. Historically, most physical-fitness tests have usually included measures of muscular strength and endurance, not for health-related reasons, but primarily because such fitness netponents have been related to performance in athletics.
10. “But those who want to ban the bomb for American citizens claim that if you have one locked in the cabinet, with the fuse in a drawer, you would never be able to assemble it in time to stop an intruder （侵入者）”.
11. The report cites two main causes: increasing physical isolation—brought on by high divorce rates and less involvement in netmunity, among other things—and a growing perception that the world is a more dangerous place.
第二节、长句速读 同位语和较长的后置定语（如人物身份，句子中间的非限制性定语从句），很长的专有名词（如机构名称）等。这些信息需要用跳读（skip）的方法，略去不读。 在文章里，经常会出现此类文字信息，目的是...（查看全文）
动词 expect 的语法与惯用法 1. 表示“期待”“期望”，通常为及物动词，不要受汉语影响在其后误加介词for。如：我们不能期望一夜之间就取得成功。误：We should not expect for success overnight.正：We should no...（查看全文）
Is it OK to split infinitives?把不定式分开是否恰当？Most split infinitives follow this model – an adverb is put between “to” and the verb. But you also get compound split infinitives where more tha...（查看全文）